The 2017 StudentCam competition will officially launch after Labor Day in September, 2016.
StudentCam is C-SPAN's annual national video documentary competition that encourages students to think critically about issues that affect our communities and our nation.
This year students in grades 6-12 are asked to create a short (5-7 minute) video documentary on a topic related to the new 2017 competition theme, "Your Message To Washington", and the issue they believe is most urgent for the new President and Congress to address in 2017.
With cash prizes totaling $100,000, C-SPAN will award prizes to 150 student documentaries, and 53 teacher advisors.
“YOUR MESSAGE TO WASHINGTON”
What is the most urgent issue for the new President and Congress to address in 2017?
- The competition is open to all students in grades 6-12. Grades 6-8 will compete in the Middle School category, and grades 9-12 will compete in the High School category.
- Middle School students are to be judged nationally against their peers. High School students are to be judged regionally against their peers in one of 3 regions (West/Central/East), based on their school state.
- Students may compete individually, or in teams of either 2 or 3 members.
- All documentaries must include supporting C-SPAN footage that relates to the chosen topic.
- Winning StudentCam documentaries will thoroughly explore a variety of viewpoints related to the chosen topic, including those that may oppose the filmmakers points of view.
- Documentaries must be between 5-7 minutes in length .*End credits, if applicable, are permitted to run longer than the allotted 7 minute time frame.
- Entries must include either end credits or a works cited list.
C-SPAN is pleased to announce the 150 prize winning documentaries in C-SPAN's 2016 StudentCam competition!
Congratulations to Olivia Hurd of Jenks, OK on winning StudentCam 2016's Grand Prize, and the team of Ben Miller, William Ederer & Charles Gryder from Silver Spring, MD on winning the "Fan Favorite" award.
Click here for a list of all 150 prize winners and links to their videos: STUDENTCAM 2016 PRIZE WINNERS
A warm thank you to all who participated and congratulations to all of the winning filmmakers!
Key dates, including the announcement of the winners, and the launch of our 2017 StudentCam competition.
- Wednesday, March 9, 2016
C-SPAN announced the winners of the 2016 StudentCam competition, inlcuding all 150 winning entries as well as this year's "Fan Favorite". A complete list of this year's winning videos can be found by clicking on our "Past Winners" tab.
- Wednesday, September 14, 2016
The 2017 StudentCam competition will officially launch, including a fully updated website with new video tutorials and additional teacher and student resources.
- Tuesday, November 1, 2016 - Friday, January 20, 2017
When ready to submit their finished documentary, students may complete the Entry Form and upload their video files through the StudentCam website.
- Friday, January 20, 2017
All eligible documentaries must be uploaded by midnight PST at the end of the day on Friday, January 20.