C-SPAN is pleased to announce the new theme for 2018:
“THE CONSTITUTION & YOU”
Choose a provision of the U.S. Constitution and create a video illustrating why it's important to you.
StudentCam is C-SPAN's annual national video documentary competition that encourages students to think critically about issues that affect our communities and our nation.
This year students in grades 6-12 are asked to create a short (5-7 minute) video documentary on a topic related to the new 2018 competition theme, "The Constitution & You: Choose a provision of the U.S. Constitution and create a video illustrating why it's important to you."
With cash prizes totaling $100,000, C-SPAN awards prizes to 150 student documentaries, and 53 teacher advisors.
- The competition is open to all students in grades 6-12. Grades 6-8 will compete in the Middle School category, and grades 9-12 will compete in the High School category.
- Middle School students are judged nationally against their peers. High School students are judged regionally against their peers in one of 3 regions (West/Central/East), based on their school state.
- Students may compete individually, or in teams of either 2 or 3 members.
- All documentaries must include supporting C-SPAN video that relates to the chosen topic.
- Winning StudentCam documentaries will thoroughly explore a variety of viewpoints related to the chosen topic, including those that may oppose the filmmakers points of view.
- Documentaries must be between 5-7 minutes in length. *End credits, if applicable, must begin after the 5-minute mark and are permitted to run longer than the allotted 7-minute time frame.
- Entries must include either end credits or a works cited list.
Take us Behind-the-Scenes of your StudentCam documentary for your chance to win one of five $100 cash prizes!
- Share a photograph from the production of your StudentCam documentary on social media
- Post to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat – upload your photo, tell us about it, and include the hashtag #StudentCam2018
- Send an attached screengrab of your social media post along with the names of all team members and the name of your school to: email@example.com
- Must submit by the main competition deadline on January 18, 2018. Five $100 prizes to be awarded in March, 2018. To be eligible to win, you must also enter a documentary in StudentCam 2018 but your documentary does not have to be a winning video in order to win the "Behind the Scenes" prize
- Limit 1 eligible photograph per team/documentary
Click here to complete the Entry Form for yourself, any teammates, and your teacher advisor (if applicable). Once you have completed the Entry Form and uploaded your video file, you will be emailed a link to view your video which you may then share with your friends, family, and teachers.
If you are under the age of 18, you will also be emailed a Release form for your parent/guardian to review and provide their consent.
Key dates, including the submission deadline and the announcement of winning videos.
- Wednesday, November 1, 2017
The Entry Form and Documentary Upload page was posted to the StudentCam site. Complete your Entry Form and Upload your finished documentary anytime between November 1 and January 18.
- Thursday, January 18, 2018
Submission Deadline: all eligible documentaries must be uploaded by midnight (PST) at the end of the day on Thursday, January 18.
- Wednesday, March 7, 2018
C-SPAN will announce the 150 winners of the StudentCam 2018 competition.