The submission period is now closed. C-SPAN will announce the 150 winning entries on Wednesday, March 8 at 9am ET. Good luck to all participants!
StudentCam is C-SPAN's annual national video documentary competition that encourages students to think critically about issues that affect our communities and our nation.
This year students in grades 6-12 are asked to create a short (5-7 minute) video documentary on a topic related to the new 2017 competition theme, "Your Message To Washington: What is the most urgent issue for the new president and Congress to address in 2017?"
With cash prizes totaling $100,000, C-SPAN will award prizes to 150 student documentaries, and 53 teacher advisors.
“YOUR MESSAGE TO WASHINGTON”
What is the most urgent issue for the new president and Congress to address in 2017?
- The competition is open to all students in grades 6-12. Grades 6-8 will compete in the Middle School category, and grades 9-12 will compete in the High School category.
- Middle School students are to be judged nationally against their peers. High School students are to be judged regionally against their peers in one of 3 regions (West/Central/East), based on their school state.
- Students may compete individually, or in teams of either 2 or 3 members.
- All documentaries must include supporting C-SPAN video that relates to the chosen topic.
- Winning StudentCam documentaries will thoroughly explore a variety of viewpoints related to the chosen topic, including those that may oppose the filmmakers points of view.
- Documentaries must be between 5-7 minutes in length .*End credits, if applicable, are permitted to run longer than the allotted 7 minute time frame.
- Entries must include either end credits or a works cited list.
Take us Behind-the-Scenes of your StudentCam documentary for your chance to win 1 of 5 - $100 cash prizes!
- Share a photograph from the production of your StudentCam documentary on social media
- Post to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat – upload your photo, tell us about it, and include the hashtag #CSPANStudentCam2017
- Send an attached screengrab of your social media post along with the names of all team members and the name of your school to: email@example.com
- Must submit by the main competition deadline on January 20, 2017. 5 - $100 prizes to be awarded in March, 2017. To be eligible to win, you must also enter a documentary in StudentCam 2017 but your documentary does not have to be a winning video in order to win the "Behind the Scenes" prize
- Limit 1 eligible photograph per team/documentary
Key dates, including the announcement of the winners.
- Friday, January 20, 2017
StudentCam 2017 submission deadline. StudentCam submissions are now closed for judging.
- Monday, February 27, 2017
C-SPAN will announce the 5 winners of the "Behind the Scenes" photo competition.
- Monday, February 27 - Friday, March 3, 2017
Public voting period on the top 5 entries, as selected by C-SPAN's judges. The entry with the most votes at the end of the period of judging will receive the "Fan Favorite" award, a secondary cash prize.
- Wednesday, March 8, 2017
C-SPAN will announce the 150 winners of the StudentCam 2017 competition.