The submission deadline has passed and the 2023 StudentCam competition is now closed for judging.
Our sincere thanks to all who participated for the many hours of research and hard work that you put into producing your documentaries. We are excited to view your work and hear about the issues that are important to you!
We look forward to sharing the top 150 entries with the public when we announce the prize-winners in March.
Good luck to all!
StudentCam is C-SPAN's annual national video documentary competition that encourages students to think critically about issues that affect our communities and our nation.
This year, we asked students in grades 6-12 to create a short (5-6 minute) video documentary on a topic that relates to the competition theme, "If you were a newly elected member of Congress, which issue would be your first priority and why?"
The submission deadline for all entries was Friday, January 20, 2023. With cash prizes totaling $100,000 each year, C-SPAN awards prizes to the top 150 student documentaries. If you are a teacher and listed as an adviser on one of the top 50 winning films, you will also receive a cash award. Since 2004, C-SPAN has awarded over $1.2 million dollars in cash prizes to students and teachers.
"If you were a newly elected member of Congress, which issue would be your first priority and why?"
Click here for a printable Student Checklist (Google Doc)
- This annual competition is open to all students in grades 6-12. Grades 6-8 compete in the Middle School category, and grades 9-12 compete in the High School category. For more information, visit our Prizes page.
- Students may compete individually, or in teams of either 2 or 3 members.
- Documentaries must include clips of supporting or opposing C-SPAN video that relate to the chosen topic.
- Winning StudentCam documentaries will thoroughly explore a variety of viewpoints related to the chosen topic, including those that may oppose the filmmakers points of view. We recommend that you interview experts on your chosen subject.
- Documentaries must be between 5-6 minutes in length. *End credits, if applicable, must begin after the 5-minute mark but are permitted to run longer than the allotted 6-minute time frame.
- Entries must include either end credits or a works cited list. Students can use whichever format they currently use to cite their sources.
Key dates, including the 2023 submission deadline and announcement of winners.
- Friday, January 20, 2023
The 2023 StudentCam competition submission deadline was 11:59pm Pacific Standard Time on Friday, January 20.
- March 5 - March 12, 2023
A week of public voting where the public cast their vote for the "Fan Favorite" award.
- March 15, 2023
C-SPAN will announce the 150 prize-winning entries, as well as our "Fan Favorite" and "Behind the Scenes" photo contest winners.
- April 1 - April 21, 2023
C-SPAN will air one of the top 21 winning entries each day on C-SPAN Television Networks.