StudentCam is C-SPAN's annual national video documentary competition that encourages students to think critically about issues that affect our communities and our nation.
This year students in grades 6-12 are asked to create a short (5-7 minute) video documentary on a topic related to the new 2017 competition theme, "Your Message To Washington: What is the most urgent issue for the new president and Congress to address in 2017?"
With cash prizes totaling $100,000, C-SPAN will award prizes to 150 student documentaries, and 53 teacher advisors.
“YOUR MESSAGE TO WASHINGTON”
What is the most urgent issue for the new president and Congress to address in 2017?
- The competition is open to all students in grades 6-12. Grades 6-8 will compete in the Middle School category, and grades 9-12 will compete in the High School category.
- Middle School students are to be judged nationally against their peers. High School students are to be judged regionally against their peers in one of 3 regions (West/Central/East), based on their school state.
- Students may compete individually, or in teams of either 2 or 3 members.
- All documentaries must include supporting C-SPAN video that relates to the chosen topic.
- Winning StudentCam documentaries will thoroughly explore a variety of viewpoints related to the chosen topic, including those that may oppose the filmmakers points of view.
- Documentaries must be between 5-7 minutes in length .*End credits, if applicable, are permitted to run longer than the allotted 7 minute time frame.
- Entries must include either end credits or a works cited list.
Key dates, including the announcement of the winners, and the launch of our 2017 StudentCam competition.
- Wednesday, September 14, 2016
The 2017 StudentCam competition officially launched.
- Tuesday, November 1, 2016 - Friday, January 20, 2017
When ready to submit their finished documentary, students may complete the Entry Form and upload their video files through the StudentCam website.
- Friday, January 20, 2017
All eligible documentaries must be uploaded by midnight PST at the end of the day on Friday, January 20.
- Wednesday, March 8, 2017
The 150 winning entries will be announced.