C-SPAN is pleased to announce the winning documentaries in C-SPAN's 2018 StudentCam competition!
Congratulations to Adam Koch & Tyler Cooney of Grimes, IA on winning StudentCam 2018's Grand Prize, and Hemakshi Gordy and Jansikwe Medina-Tayac from Silver Spring, MD on winning this year's "Fan Favorite" award.
Click here for a list of all 150 prize winners and links to their videos: STUDENTCAM 2018 PRIZE WINNERS
A warm thank you to all who participated and congratulations to all of the winning filmmakers!
StudentCam is C-SPAN's annual national video documentary competition that encourages students to think critically about issues that affect our communities and our nation.
This year students in grades 6-12 were asked to create a short (5-7 minute) video documentary on a topic related to the new 2018 competition theme, "The Constitution & You: Choose a provision of the U.S. Constitution and create a video illustrating why it's important to you."
With cash prizes totaling $100,000, C-SPAN awards prizes to 150 student documentaries, and 53 teacher advisors.
“THE CONSTITUTION & YOU”
Choose a provision of the U.S. Constitution and create a video illustrating why it's important to you.
- The competition is open to all students in grades 6-12. Grades 6-8 will compete in the Middle School category, and grades 9-12 will compete in the High School category.
- Middle School students are judged nationally against their peers. High School students are judged regionally against their peers in one of 3 regions (West/Central/East), based on their school state.
- Students may compete individually, or in teams of either 2 or 3 members.
- All documentaries must include supporting C-SPAN video that relates to the chosen topic.
- Winning StudentCam documentaries will thoroughly explore a variety of viewpoints related to the chosen topic, including those that may oppose the filmmakers points of view.
- Documentaries must be between 5-7 minutes in length. *End credits, if applicable, must begin after the 5-minute mark and are permitted to run longer than the allotted 7-minute time frame.
- Entries must include either end credits or a works cited list.
Key dates, including the submission deadline and the announcement of winning videos.
- Wednesday, March 7
C-SPAN announced the winners of the StudentCam 2018 competition, as well as the "Fan Favorite", and the winners of our "Behind the Scenes" photo competition.
- Sunday, April 1 - Sunday, April 22
C-SPAN will air the top 22 documentaries each morning on C-SPAN.